What Do We Do?
Our world is filled with children who are suffering. There is massive inequality, environmental degradation and species extinction. Democracies are disempowering their citizens. If you could choose one thing to begin to change all of that, what would it be?
Family planning, more than anything else, defines the world around us and our future. But our current family planning models simply don’t work. They work to make our future less secure.
What does Having Kids do? We promote and protect every child’s right to a fair start in life by replacing unsustainable, subjective, parent-centered family planning models with the human rights-based, sustainable objective and child centered Fair Start family planning model. The Fair Start model is designed to truly empower people, from the moment they are born. It’s a family planning model that works, and is the most effective way to target many of the world’s problems and protect our future – all at the same time.
Here are some examples of our work to replace poor family planning models with the Fair Start model in legal, corporate, and cultural systems:
- We are replacing the parent-centered family planning model with the Fair Start model in our legal systems, moving federal policy from inefficient and reactive child welfare, to a proactive focus on family planning.
- We are working to develop child-centered Fair Start judicial orders for our legal systems. These orders will replace dysfunctional parent-centered orders, and prevent abusive and neglectful parents from having and harming additional children.
- We are part of a coalition working to make long-term reversible contraception free and available to teens and those in need, consistent with a child-centered approach to family planning.
- We are working to improve local climate change policies by including child-centered family planning measures, and creating a model that can be used in local communities everywhere, as the most effective way to reduce emissions and ensure family planning systems are building resilient people.
- We are laying the groundwork to urge the United States, European Union, and United Nations to replace parent-centered family planning models with the child-centered and human rights-based Fair Start model.
- We are engaging with corporations to change their family planning modeling from parent-centered to child-centered, both in their benefits and programming.
- We are building a community of families who are leading by example to change family planning modeling, and speaking out publicly about the need for Fair Start family planning. These families are changing the culture, and are working towards building the future we all want.
- We are publicizing the need for Fair Start family planning both in popular media and academic publications, using engaging discourse to change the culture of family planning.
- We are partnering with the University of Denver to study how to replace parent-centered family planning, and implement the Fair Start model, at the community level.
- We are encouraging public figures to lead by example and change the culture of family planing by publicly adopting the Fair Start model.
Please join us and help make a truly better and safer future for all!